Thursday, January 27, 2005

American Idol

I’m not a huge American Idol fan. I think it’s because I can’t stand to watch people fail and each week on American Idol people fail – well at least one of them does. The rest of my family really likes to watch. For them maybe it’s about the success of those who don’t fail and move on in the show. You’ll have to talk to them about their motive for watching.

Last night we watched the very beginning of the American Idol process where thousands of people get in front of the American Idol judges and sing. Some of them know they are bad and they try to be as outrageous as possible just to get on TV. Others are really good and I can see why they feel they have a chance at being on the show. But some who try to sing are truly delusional. Their voices are horrible and they believe they can sing well. Watching them and the judge’s response made me laugh until my stomach hurt.

Something about American Idol bothers me. It makes me take a look at myself and ask, “What am I delusional about? Where am I making a fool of myself? Do I think I do something well that everyone around me thinks I do horribly?” Do people say to each other “can you believe he’s doing that?” Ignorance is bliss so maybe I don’t want to know. Then again maybe I do.

With that said, I’m kinda scared of the comments on this post ….

Everyone enjoys a fitting reply; it is wonderful to say the right thing at the right time! Proverbs 15:23 (NLT)

3 comments:

reflectionsofatexan said...

Well said. But lets make it short and sweet shall we?...Just say the 80's are out and were never in :) I have to disagree about the bell-bottoms though. I truly believe i am living in the wrong era. I am much more a 70's fan!! (though not politically)

As for ignorance...i've quoted it before and yea shall I again..."ignorance is life's most expensive commodity." :)

Ronnie Whitehead said...

Tommy, I hear what you're saying (not discounting the 80s bashing by Nicolae and Mindy) :-P

I kind of look at it this way. I have friends who would tell me if I had broccoli in my teeth, and others who would just let it go and talk about it when they got home. If I determine that someone is in the latter group, I just try to NOT eat broccoli around them. I'm reminded of the writer of Proverbs, Clint Eastwood, when he said, "A man's got to know his limitations." OK, so he didn't write Proverbs ... maybe he should have.

Tommy said...

Jen - I agree ... most of the time Andrea is right. And I like that she can be honest with me. So when she says "You not going outside wearing that, are you?" I turn around and go back upstairs and find something that matches ...