Thursday, January 06, 2005

A Quiet Life

Our small group is studying the book of 1 Thessalonians. As we study it we have been encouraged to read through the book a couple of times to get a good feel for it. I’ve done that and I have only had one verse really stick out to me so far. In fact it puzzles me and I keep asking myself, “What am I supposed to do with this?” It was written to a specific group of people – the Thessalonian church, for a specific purpose.

Here it is:

Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.
1 Thessalonians 4:11-12


I am a social introvert who is not very good at small talk. I enjoy good conversation with those whom I’m close but have a hard time having surface level conversations with those I barely know. A passage like this from the Bible is easy to use as justification for remaining the person I am and refusing to stretch myself. I don’t think that’s the point.

These verses though, remind me of my parents. They live a quiet life, which is something they enjoy. They mind their own business. I know that it is easy for parents to desire to give their kids unsolicited advice after they’re married, but my parents have always been good about letting Andrea and me work through stuff. My dad is a mechanic and my mom loves to work in the yard so they both work with their hands. Outsiders respect them and they are very independent. I’ve got great parents! They live this verse. By the way, today is my mom’s birthday. Happy Birthday Mom!

No comments: