Thursday, November 04, 2004

The simple in the world of the complex

I’m reading a book by Paulo Coelho called The Pilgrimage. It is about a man (Coelho) who takes a pilgrimage and walks The Road to San Tiago in Spain which ends at the mortal remains of the apostle James. Along the road he learns some “practices” from his spiritual director, Petrus. Petrus tells him:

“The … practices are so simple that people like you, who are used to making life too complicated, ascribe little value to them.”
Although Petrus isn't teaching Coelho traditional spiritual disciplines, I wonder how often I have ascribed little value to the spiritual disciplines of Christianity because I think life should be way more complicated? Sometimes the disciplines of the Christian faith are so simple that in the world where everything else is complicated I have to ask myself “how could this possibly be doing me any good?”

But when I neglect “Being still and knowing God is God”, it’s then I realize how the simple can be so profound.

No comments: