Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Random Family Update

Life is happening even though it may not appear as such out here in the world of blog. Here are some random things that are going on in the Stunz household.

Tommy bought a new desktop computer today. No, not a Mac. We're just not that wealthy! But it is fast, or at least it will be when Tommy gets home and unloads it and hooks it all up. What a pain to transfer stuff this is going to be. We've had this old Dell for about twice as long as a typical computer life span is supposed to be. It has like about a 30GB Hard Drive, 540MB Ram and our new one has 6GB RAM and 750GB Hard Drive. I think that's quite an improvement and although still lame by some peoples standards, we are out of the dark ages. We also get a printer with WIFI so we can print from our laptops somewhere else in the house. I think I'm most excited about that. It also has a 22" flat screen monitor. That's almost as big as our tv. Not really but it's big and small at the same time. Our current monitor takes up the whole top of the desk.

Jakeb finished Algebra 2 today!! He's on to Geometry now. We had hoped to finish A2 in one semester but it wasn't all that easy. We're hoping to finish Geometry by the end of the school year but it may take him into the summer a little to finish. Jakeb's brain works more like Tommy's and Tommy liked Geometry a lot more than Algebra so maybe Jakeb will find it easier. Overall, Jakeb is doing great in school. I appreciate them both being willing for us to all learn together.

Anna is doing super great in school. By my recent calculations, we're ahead in several of her subjects so we're slacking off a bit in those so as to not finish them in March and beefing up lessons in a couple of other subjects that we weren't so ahead on. We're also getting to do some cool science projects and stuff.

Jakeb and Anna both have now been officially accepted to International School Singapore. We were sweating that one out for a little bit because Jakeb was in but they didn't have a spot for Anna. Her going to a different school would have meant two different school calendars. That would have messed up vacation plans for sure. Anyway, our small group prayed, and I'm sure that's what did it because early that week we got the email saying that they had a spot for her and to send money quick before it got snatched up. So we did. Well, the company did. We can't afford a Mac, we sure can't afford this school. Jakeb is super excited because ISS High School requires students to have a Macbook. So we will be purchasing one of those from the school program when we get there. That way it will be loaded with the software that he'll need. That purchase is on us. Ouch!

Tori got another hole (she already has two from birth) in her nose on purpose and it has a cute little sparkly thing sticking out of it. She waited all of 5 days after her 18th birthday to go get it done. We are totally fine with it and it looks cute. She loves it! I think people are mostly shocked and it's fun to watch and hear about the reactions from all of those people that think we're stick in the mud, traditional people that must be crazy with anger and shame at the thought of our daughter doing that to her body. Now when she gets the bamboo stick through her lips, we might go a little whack.

I got a massage on Friday. It was okay for the $39 intro price but there's no way I'd pay $65 for one which is the regular price. Plus, it messed up my hair and makeup and I had a line on my forehead for about 30 minutes and Tommy and I were going on a date.

Our house is STILL for sale. I know, it's only been 3 weeks.... but I really hate making my bed and keeping the house clean. We showed it yesterday and I wasn't ready. Anna and I flew through the house and got it ready. I ended up putting a laundry basket full of dirty dishes in my trunk on the way out the door. It was pretty funny! One couple is very interested but they have to wait until May or June to close which works perfectly for us but we certainly aren't going to hold it for them without a solid contract and financing. Another buyer has it "on her list". She didn't like where the a/c unit is placed. That's crazy. Like we're going to move an a/c unit. I don't like it there either but I never once thought that it would be reasonable to move it somewhere else. It is where it is.

The move to Singapore is happening and every day I experience little "deaths". Little things that are depressing and make my heart hurt. But also every day, there are new "life" things happening as well. This is proving to be the challenge we expected but we have to focus on the adventure or it will most definitely pull us under.

Speaking of new life. there sure have been a lot of babies being born lately. And even more to come soon. Congratulations everyone! So exciting and so glad it's not me. :) I'll just borrow yours.

Oh, and...

Tori's truck dances when she shifts gears. We're not sure what is up with that but Tommy's working on trying to figure it out. It makes for a rather comical ride. If you need a good laugh, ask her to come take you somewhere.

Anna didn't know the name for one of the seas in Geography. She knew it started with an "M" and that it was a long name. I always tell her to never leave anything blank, to at least try. So, the Mediterranean Sea is now the Miscelleneous Sea. :) Miscelleneous is one of her spelling words this week and she spelled it correctly. Good girl!

Jakeb is going to turn into a pecan pie. He's found that he loves them and eats a piece every time he's at work.

We ate Persian food the other night on our date. We love that place! The owner is from Syria, her husband is Iranian, the chef and the waitress or Spanish. Did I say we love that place? :) The owner made her special ice cream for couples on Valentines Day and even though it was a day early, she gave us some for free for our dessert. It was interestingly good. It was a vanilla ice cream base with crushed pistachios and rose flavoring. Not something I'd ever crave but we were happy to have the experience. It kind of tasted like eating perfume but in an ok way. Weird.

Then we went to The Dessert Gallery on Post Oak for some real dessert. Oh my!!! It took me three days to eat my piece of cake and the kids even took a few bites.

This is probably the last blog post I'll type on this piece of junk, antiquated computer. Yipee!!!

Well, that's it for now. My brain is sufficiently purged for a day or two.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I was stalking just a little bit and was wondering if Jakeb's going to do the international baccalaureate program thing at the school in Singapore - my high school had it and while it was definitely hard it was totally worth it when I got to college lol...ok I feel old now.

Andrea said...

Yes, Jakeb and Anna both will be doing the IB program. We were told it was a challenge but would be worth it as well. One of the main reasons we chose ISS was because it is the only International school we found that had the option of graduating with an American diploma.

We are excited about the experiences that the IB program has to offer. Supposedly more experiential and not just sitting in class learning a textbook.

Unknown said...

Honestly - your life makes me tired, I almost think having a baby would be easier. : ) Know God is truly providing!

Love that you & Tommy make time to slow down and enjoy.

The dishes in the trunk made me laugh.

Oh yeah I'm a bit envious - I want my nose pierced, just think I'm a bit past my prime for that! Roger has said, after hearing me say I've always wanted my nose pierced, go ahead - but I truly think he knows I wouldn't embarrass my children that badly as to really do it now.

Andrea said...

I wouldn't mind a tattoo or piercing either but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be appropriate for me either. I'll live vicariously through Tori, I guess.

I have thought about getting a good henna (sp) tattoo, though. I found someone that does it in Houston through Ecclesia. Maybe someday...

praynlady said...

I am so proud of how you are handling all of this. I know you are stressed and trying to hold all things together. Hang in there, and as our "eldest" used to always tell me, "Keep your chin up"! You'll do fine.

I want my nose pierced too but Paul says NO WAY! Sad really!

I am getting another tat though. I can't wait. We should all go together and have Erin draw up a family tattoo (small) and all of us get it done.....haha I sorta like that idea!

I love you!