Tuesday, May 24, 2005

God is in the space

As I read Running the Spiritual Path yesterday I stared thinking:

The mind-set I’ve had made me think God could only be found in stuff. God is in the Bible. God is in me. God is in productivity and busyness. God is in the trees and the mountains. And He is in all of those places.

But lately I see that God can also be found in the spaces. In fact sometimes God is seen more clearly in the spaces.

When my mind is cluttered with the activity of the day God can barely be heard. But when I set aside everything my mind would otherwise ponder, I am engulfed by God in that space.

God is heard more clearly in the space of silence between footfalls when I run. I see God in the space between two trees when the sun comes up behind them.

I connect with God more deeply in space created by the rest of a Sabbath. More there than any activity of a busy day. I feel God in the space of a day of silence and solitude.

Pascal said we were all created with a God-shaped hole in our lives that can only be filled with Him. Even though I became a Christ-follower twenty years ago I still try to fill that hole with other things sometimes. But I am only right; I am only who Tommy was meant to be when I let God fill that hole – when I let God fill my space.

God is in the space.

5 comments:

Lizanne said...

Such deep and cool thoughts for so early in the day. Great blog!

Tommy said...

Thanks Lizanne.

My mind didn't manufacture that entire post at 5am this morning. God is in the space is something I thought about for a day or two. Andrea helped me form it as I talked it through with her. She's good at that you know.

Morning is my best time of the day though.

Anonymous said...

Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase most often used in dating relationships... "I need some space."

We could all use more space, we are too busy to have relationships with each other, those we physically come in contact with, much less with God, whom it is sometimes easy to overlook cause he's not physically present.

Ginger said...

How fascinating. I was thinking about this very concept for the past few days and blogged about it--from a very different approach--yesterday. Now here I ran across your blog this morning. Good stuff here.

Have you seen the movie, "Before Sunrise?" The two main characters are talking about God (though they don't seem to have much belief), and Celine says something to the effect of, "I believe God is found in the space between two people." I've thought about that for many years.

Tommy said...

Anonymous and Ginger - Thanks for stopping by. The whole ides of God being in the space between two people is intriguing.