Sunday, April 10, 2005

Gator Gallop 5k

Jakeb, Andrea and I ran the Gator Gallop 5k on Saturday. There were quite a few BPF people running and watching the race. Mary Margaret, Jennifer, Edwin, Jason, Terry, Cy, et al. The danger of trying to name people is I will inevitably miss someone who was there. If that’s you I’m sorry.

Friday night I went to see Jakeb’s baseball game and there were Brazos Pointe Fellowship people wherever I looked. It is amazing to me the relational potential for pointing others toward Jesus that the people at Brazos Pointe Fellowship have as we live life in the Brazosport area. BPF exists everywhere, even when we’re not meeting.

Back to the race - Andrea and Jakeb have both been training for a 5k. Their goal race is not until next month but they both decided to run the Gator Gallop 5k at Brazosport College. Andrea hasn’t run the full distance since her foot surgery. Jakeb ran 3 miles for the first time last week.

Andrea is my hero. She was feeling sick a couple of days before the race and on Thursday when she and Jakeb were running she tripped and fell on the concrete. Even with the pain she gutted it up and ran/walked the 5k.

I ran it and felt pretty good. I maintained a comfortable pace and finished in twenty-four minutes and twenty-something seconds. I didn’t stop my watch so I am not sure of an exact time.

I was going to grab a drink and go back and help Jakeb run the rest of the way in. I took a drink and looked up and there was Jakeb striding to the finish only about a minute behind me. I was suddenly struck by the realization that I will soon be beat soundly by my son.

When it was all said and done Jakeb won second place in the 12 and under category. I finished 3rd in the 30 – 39 age group. Jakeb second, dad third. The beginning of a pattern I'm sure.



It was a good day! The whole family have to do it again soon.

3 comments:

Lizanne said...

What a fabulous day! Way to go Stunz family! Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Hi Stunz family! That is so awesome that you all ran together. Congrats to the winnings you guys made. The picture is sooooo cute - you both have the same squint!! I would love to know when you started running Tommy and how you started......do you know what I mean? I really would love to start some kind of exercising and have really enjoyed your posts about the marathon etc.

p.s. Way to go Andrea!!

Michelle (your neighbor/ex home team member - still miss you guys)

praynlady said...

Tommy, can you add one more thing to the list of reasons you run?

"I run for those who can't"

simply stated. I wish I could run but I'm guessing it will be a bit longer before that will happen. I am so proud of all of you. Keep it up and keep the family with you. Best way I know of to stay close is to do things together. Love ya, S-I-L